Sonas, meaning happiness in the Irish language, is an exciting new Calgary based ensemble specializing in Irish traditional music. The band is comprised of Cowtowns pillars of Irish traditional music, Emilie Kirwan-Dynock, David Morrissey, Dan Mills and Graham Wells.
Driving jigs and reels, lilting, poignant and powerful vocals are all on the bill of fare with this foursome that hail from the islands of Ireland and Newfoundland. All four members have an impressive musical history and can be found keeping the tradition alive every Sunday at the traditional music session at the Oak Tree Tavern.
- Emilie – Emilie Kirwan is from Ballynacally, a village outside Ennis in Co. Clare. She attended the University of Limerick and has a Master’s degree in Traditional Irish music performance. Emilie has a west Clare style of playing and has been influenced by Martin Hayes and Siobhan Peoples.
- Dan – Dan Mills is a multi-faceted musician and singer from St. John’s, Newfoundland. He has performed, both solo and as a member of The Freels. His skill on the concert flute, bouzouki, and guitar, as well as possessing a powerful and distinctive singing voice make Dan a great addition to Sonas.
- Dave – Dave Morrissey is from County Kildare, Ireland. Dave has developed a percussive and complimentary style of playing the guitar which has been described as the “engine” of sessions. Based in Dublin and Galway, Dave has played with some of the top names in Irish music such as Frankie Gavin and Maurice Lennon.
- Graham – Graham Wells is an award winning traditional multi-instrumentalist and singer from St. John’s, Newfoundland. A graduate of the University of Limerick, he holds an MA in Traditional Music Performance. Graham was a founding member of A Crowd of Bold Sharemen, former member of The Irish Descendants, and is founder and Artistic Director of Feile Seamus Creagh, a traditional music festival in its 10th year.
- Club Performance: Concert – Fire in the Heart
- Email: Send email to David Morrissey