SOLD OUT: We’ll be at Hickey’s Place (Calgary) for our first concert for 2024. The Oak Trio will be returning to Celtic Folk for a high energy set along with Wander West and Get Reel.
The evening is at Hickey’s Place in a concert format (attentive audience) in an authentic pub style setting, with three acts, and the ICS bar. We’ll have some food on the menu to feed you as well (via A Certain Flair Catering). Cash and electronic payment options.
It will be another fantastic show. Previous concerts have sold out, so don’t wait to get your tickets – you’ve been warned. Tickets via the Eventbrite website or the secure embedded checkout at the bottom of the page.
The Oak Trio
Driving jigs and reels, lilting, poignant and powerful vocals are all on the bill of fare with this trio that hail from the islands of Ireland and Newfoundland and now reside in Calgary. All three members of the The Oak Trio have an impressive musical history and can be found keeping the tradition alive at sessions and events around town. The trio came together after many lively sessions at the Oak Tree Tavern back in the day.
- David (vocals, guitar, and banjo) is from County Kildare, Ireland. Dave has developed a percussive and complimentary style of playing which has been described as the “engine” of sessions. Dave has played with some of the top names in Irish music such as Frankie Gavin and Maurice Lennon.
- Emilie Kirwan (fiddle) is from Ballynacally, a village outside Ennis in Co. Clare. She attended the University of Limerick and has a Master’s degree in Traditional Irish music performance. Martin Hayes and Gerry O’Connor were just two of her instructors.
- Dan Mills (vocals, flute, whistles, guitar, and bouzouki) is an accomplished musician from Newfoundland. Danny was a mainstay in the popular band “The Freels with Fergus O’Byrne and Maria Peddle.
The members of Wander West bring their Celtic, classical, and folk music influences from Southeastern Ontario, Chicago, Russia, and Southern Alberta. They have come together to form a musical family of adventurous multi-instrumentalists to play traditional Celtic music and beyond.
They have performed at various venues, shows, and festivals throughout Southern Alberta and traditional music lovers everywhere have enjoyed their unique arrangements, sometimes surprisingly varied repertoire, and easy-going stage presence.
Wander West is:
- Alina Khvatova – violin, cello, vocals
- Suzie Irwin – flute, piccolo, vocals, various percussion instruments
- Carolyn Scott – accordion, piano, bass guitar, vocals, various percussion instruments
- Tim Scott – guitar, bodhran, vocals
Get Reel with Tony Hogan
Hailing from the East Coast of De Winton and the North Shores of Calgary, our jolly ship’s crew will explore a lively set of songs and fiddle tunes from the East Coast, Irish, Scottish, Folk, and other Celtic traditions.
Get Reel is Doug Wagner (vocals, harmonies, bodhran, guitar, and fiddle) and Greg Black (vocals, harmonies, guitar, electric bass, and octave mandolin).
We will be joined by percussionist and singer Tony Hogan.
Over the last 17 years, Get Reel has performed in numerous venues around Alberta, including the Water Valley Celtic Festival, the Irish Cultural Society, Okotoks, and the High River. We are also the house band for Celtic Folk.
When the fog is just right, you can almost smell the ocean, see the shipwrecks, hear the crashing waves and a tiny trace of fiddling in the distance far behind him.
Date and Time: Saturday, 24 February 2024 at 7 pm (doors open 6:30)
Location: Irish Cultural Society – Hickey’s Place (downstairs) – 6452 35 Ave NW, Calgary, AB
Cost: $20 per person (plus processing fees)
It is a concert format (attentive audience) in an authentic pub-style setting. It is not a pub night. The ICS provides the bar service. Please be responsible and reasonable while enjoying the performance so everyone else can enjoy their evening.
There is a stairlift but no ramp or elevator to access Hickey’s Place. As a private venue, children are permitted but should be old enough to focus on the performance or another non-disruptive activity and must be supervised by a parent at all times.
Due to the nature of running concerts, all ticket sales final.
Tickets via Eventbrite
Tickets via the secure embedded checkout below or on the Eventbrite website – use this link if you have problems with the embedded form.