“He took the shilling, and he’s off to war.”
We’ll be at Hickey’s Place for our first concert of this season. Horizon Ridge will be returning to Celtic Folk along with Coastal Craic and Get Reel. We’ll be sure to have a few moving songs of Remembrance amidst the upbeat songs, tunes, and good craic.
The evening is at Hickey’s Place in a concert format (attentive audience) in an authentic pub style setting, with three acts, and the ICS bar. We’ll have some food on the menu to feed you as well (via A Certain Flair Catering). Cash and electronic payment options.
It will be another fantastic show. Previous concerts have sold out, so don’t wait to get your tickets – you’ve been warned. Tickets via the Eventbrite website or the secure embedded checkout at the bottom of the page.
Horizon Ridge is a group of fine multi-instrumentalists and seasoned vocalists known for their intuitive, tight harmonies and polished a cappella singing. Helen and Steve Goodchild, Peter May and Dianne Quinton take musical inspiration from their roots and subsequent journeys near and far.
Horizon Ridge brings an engaging stage presence to performances. With influences spanning traditional and contemporary folk, country, blues, rock and gospel, the band is versatile and adventurous.
Their first CD, Enough is all you need, was released in July 2016. A mix of original and cover songs, it showcases the band’s ability to move effortlessly between different musical styles and genres.
The band members, who are based in Calgary, Alberta, have played festivals, music clubs and concerts in Canada, the US and UK. They have also taught a range of musical workshops in individual and group settings.
Coastal Craic is a collection of musicians originally from locations stretching from Victoria to Newfoundland and all the way to the rugged shores of England. Their music is sure to have your feet tapping the whole night.
- Mike Bidgood (vocals and guitar) is from St. John’s, Newfoundland. Inspired by his love of music from home, Mike has been playing Irish-Celtic music around Calgary since 2014.
- Darron Peardon (fiddle, guitar, vocals) was born and raised in Calgary, AB. As a child, Darron started playing fiddle at a young age. When he moved back here in 2011, he rediscovered his passion for playing. Darron’s musical influences include Old-Time, Celtic, down East, and country fiddle styles.
- Nicola McLaughlin (banjo and button accordion) is from Coventry, UK. Born into an Irish family, Nicola started playing Irish music (aged 8) through Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann in the UK. Initially playing the tin whistle, Nicola now mainly plays the Button Accordion and ‘dabbles’ in other Irish trad instruments.
- Gayla Roberts (bodhran) is from Hermitage, Newfoundland. Born into a musical family, Gayla loves playing her drums, guitar and singing – reconnecting with her East Coast roots.
- Keely Bays-Egri (whistle) is from Victoria, BC. Keely has been playing music since she was young. She fell wildly in love with Celtic music in her mid-20s when she stumbled upon (and subsequently stole) her father’s copy of “The Essential Chieftains.” The rest is history!
So come out for a night of songs, tunes and Craic with these talented musicians! You won’t be disappointed.
Hailing from the East Coast of De Winton and the North Shores of Calgary, our jolly ship’s crew will explore a lively set of songs and fiddle tunes from the East Coast, Irish, Scottish, Folk, and other Celtic traditions.
Get Reel is Doug Wagner (vocals, harmonies, bodhran, guitar, and fiddle) and Greg Black (vocals, harmonies, guitar, electric bass, and octave mandolin).
Over the last 15 years, Get Reel has performed in numerous venues around Alberta, including the Water Valley Celtic Festival, the Irish Cultural Society, Okotoks, and the High River Library. We are also the house band for Celtic Folk.
When the fog is just right, you can almost smell the ocean, see the shipwrecks, hear the crashing waves and a tiny trace of fiddling in the distance far behind him.
Date and Time: Saturday, 11 November 2023 at 7 pm (doors open 6:30)
Location: Irish Cultural Society – Hickey’s Place (downstairs) – 6452 35 Ave NW, Calgary, AB
Cost: $20 per person (plus processing fees)
It is a concert format (attentive audience) in an authentic pub-style setting. It is not a pub night. The ICS provides the bar service. Please be responsible and reasonable while enjoying the performance so everyone else can enjoy their evening.
There is a stairlift but no ramp or elevator to access Hickey’s Place. As a private venue, children are permitted but should be old enough to focus on the performance or another non-disruptive activity and must be supervised by a parent at all times.
Due to the nature of running concerts, all ticket sales final.
Tickets via Eventbrite
Tickets via the Eventbrite website or the secure embedded checkout below.